Over the last few months I’ve been coveting pieces of jewellery the likes of which have not crossed my trinket box before.
They tend to be described as “handlets” or even “slave bracelets” (I prefer the former!) and loop around a finger and your wrist.
I like a touch of boho in my spring/summer style and I think this relative newcomer to the fashion scene could be a perfect accessory to a maxi dress, flat sandals and a festival wristband.
However many handlets I’ve seen have been a bit too chunky for my tastes. With a handful of bold, brassy exceptions, my jewellery tends to be more
tame refined than a knuckleduster (which I’ve never thought I could carry off in a convincing way).
I’ve since made two, one gold and one silver, so my hands will be pretty no matter what the outfit.
You might notice the two are slightly different in style. I was trying out different ideas but I think I prefer the silver one, which has a T-section joining the slightly shorter bracelet part to the row of beads.
You will need:
Fine silver or gold chain, depending on your preference
Five matching jump rings
Beads of your choice
Beading wire or eyepin
1. First, cut the chain for the ring section or the piece that will loop around your finger. Mine was 7cm long. Join each end of the chain with a jump ring.
2. If you’re using an eyepin (as I did in the silver version), thread your beads on, cut to the right length and using pliers (preferably round nose) create a loop at the other end of your eyepin. Hook a short-ish piece of chain on to one end. The length will depend on your hand size but mine was 2.5cm.
If you’re using beading wire (like in the gold one), fix a jump ring to one end of the wire, thread on your beads and add another jump ring to the other end.
3. Cut a longer piece of chain to fit around your wrist. If the bracelet piece is connecting directly with the beaded piece, it needs to be a bit longer. With mine, the gold chain was 25cm long and silver 18cm long. Fix a jump ring to both ends of the chain.
4. Measure the half way point along this piece of chain, and add another jump ring.
5. Now you just join all three pieces together.
6. Add a lobster clasp to the bracelet section.
To wear, just loop on the ring section then fix the bracelet section round your wrist with the clasp.
Voilà! Perfect boho chic. Now we just need some sunshine :)